Re: Making the SCCA Into Something It Is Not

To: "Dave Kizerian" <davekizerian@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Making the SCCA Into Something It Is Not
From: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 12:26:22 -0500
> In the final 2000 points standings for STS in the Utah region, there were
16
> MEMBERS that competed out of these 16,   6 were new drivers this year!! 3
> more were new drivers last year  that is 9 new MEMBERS in one region
because
> of just one class. On top of this at each event STS was always one of the
> largest classes averaging just under 14 drivers per event.... excluding
the
> Pax'd street tire class, the next closest classes for average attendance
> were CP and F-stock, both averaging about 5 drivers per event.... I'd say
> STS is doing rather well in Utah!!  (now STR is a different story)

Do you have a novice class? Wouldn't that accomplish the same thing for a
lot more people?

> As far as SM goes, we had 6 Members compete in 2000.... 2 of these were
new
> members this year, and the others were stolen from single competitor
classes
> like AP... where they had no competition, no chance of Paxing well, and
> would have been hopelessly outclassed if anybody had shown up in a car
truly
> prepared for the class. So I'd consider that a great way to retain current
> membership based on fairly common mods, and avoiding throwing these
> enthusiasts to the wolves (so to speak...)

Funny you should say that. I feel that way right now. I prepared my street
944 Turbo for PCA club racing so I now have a choice of EM or AM. It has
definitely stifled my desire to come out to a great extent. I found a group
in Orlando (Martin) that uses slightly different classes that allow me to
run in the class above street tires and I found it a lot more fun. That's
why I'm all for an OSP-type class or for being included in SM. But if I
showed up people contend those other 2 people who are new wouldn't want to
come out anymore. Oh well. :)

Paul Foster