Re: 94 Miata class(s) - help with mods.

To: Jester097@aol.com
Subject: Re: 94 Miata class(s) - help with mods.
From: Reijo Silvennoinen <rase@istar.ca>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 22:32:30 -0700
Jester097@aol.com wrote:

> MSD makes pretty good ignition components - i dont know what revlimiter is on
>the miatas though, but to raise it wouldnt you need to re-program the pcm
>(engine computer)?  Breathing mods and side-draft carbs (properly tuned) will
>definately let you make power up to whatever rpm you feel is safe for the
>motor.  a DIS setup will deliver good spark all the way through, especially an
>MSD (multiple spark discharge) setup.
>
> -Ryan
>
> In a message dated Mon, 4 Dec 2000  8:28:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>scott@tengen.com writes:
>
> << Any experience with ignition systems for these cars?
>
> Seems like we should be able to get a few more RPM's out this machine...

Scott, before you get more carried away, you should check the Miata.net:
www.miata.net

There is a lot of info there.  A few years ago Shiv Pathak (sp?) took a Miata,
turboed it plus numerous other mods including a programable ECU (stock rev
limiter is 7,200.....stock ECU can be kept up to and in excess of 200 hp at the
rear wheels which should be more than enough for solo II).  Shiv's Miata was
dynoed at the rear wheels at 292 or 293 hp from what I recall - think he still
had the stock pistons
even!......for less than $10K US.  Also check out Dealer Alternative - they
advertise at the Miata.net web site for more info or one of the other vendors
there.

Basically, what I'm saying is don't discount the stock components too quickly -
even the early Miatae had a lot of potential out of the box unless you want to
get well in excess of 200 hp.

Regards,

Reijo
'90 Miata