Re: Why is the Supra in SM? Simple...

To: Smokerbros@aol.com
Subject: Re: Why is the Supra in SM? Simple...
From: Reijo Silvennoinen <rase@istar.ca>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 12:51:57 -0700
Smokerbros@aol.com wrote:

> I'm sorry, but your "factory" 4 seat car was a factory 2 seat car, converted
> to 4 seats at a dealership with a kit imported from Japan, using the Japanese
> 4 seat parts.  I was working in a Mazda dealership at that time, and that IS
> how it happened, whether you bought it off the showroom floor or not.  You'll
> find the four seat conversion on an "addendum sticker," not on the factory
> window sticker.  That isn't "Stock" as per the definition in section 13 of
> the rule book.  The RX-7 does not fit in Appendix K, section IV.A.1: "All
> sedans/coupes (four seats, four factory seat belts, not sports car based),
> maximum displacement 3.1L normally aspirated."  How can anyone say that an
> RX7 is not "sports car based?"
>
> Charlie Davis

Hmmmm......at least that is how it happened for at least one car at your
dealership - is that necessarily the case elsewhere?  How do you know?  Did some
cars come over later from Japan already converted?  And, yes, as far as I
understand the car is the same otherwise (not stretched like the 300 ZX) but I'm
not sure that the Turbo model was ever converted....although as you say it could
be easily enough.  In Japan they are ALL 4-seaters!  Might the case not be made
that really the 2-seaters are the exception then.  ;^)

Is this really important?  ;^)

Of course, the situation may be different here in Canada - they may have come
across already converted as I suspect mine was.

Furthermore, as an interesting technicality then, would that mean that the
4-seat
cars are not "legal" in stock class in the US of A?  ;^)  They would have to be
converted back to 2-seaters or else move up from stock class, no?

Reijo