Street Mod exclusions, was: What's wrong with this picture?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Street Mod exclusions, was: What's wrong with this picture?
From: "Karen Rafferty" <rafferty@sgi.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 13:18:45 -0500
Matt wote:
> I think that the P-cars should be
> allowed and then see if it would overpower.

This approach was already attempted in moving
the M3 to ESP because it was feared that it would not
be competitive in CSP.  I'd hate to see another class
ruined because of not looking at a car's true potential
once it is fully set up.

Also, Chuck McMillion wrote:
> The Supra is classed in SS with the RX-7 and the
> 944 is in AS.

You are assuming that the Supra is properly classed
in SS.  The Camaro SS is also in SuperStock, but is
allowed in SM.  You can't look at all cars in a class
and make blanket statements about where they go next.
One of the concerns with the P-cars is the opportunities
available to them such as engine swaps, addition of
turbos, etc.  The Supra is pretty much maxed from the
factory.  What you see is what you get...a big heavy
machine that needs the benefit of the turbos.  Sure you
could get a gazillion amount of boost, but that's good
only in a straight line.  And, it's tough to get that boost
early...much needed in Autocross.

IMHO,
Karen Rafferty