RE: Last posting to team.net for Evolution

To: autox@autox.team.net, Jkinser77@aol.com
Subject: RE: Last posting to team.net for Evolution
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 10:45:36 -0400
Jkinser77@aol.com (Jean Kinser) wrote:

> Due to the posts against the school helping clubs advertise and us
answering
> questions being asked about what is going on, I now have had 2
instructors
> quit team.net out of frustration to reading responses to use letting
people
> know what is happening with the school, new creations, needing imput and
help
> from people, and updating the happenings of the 70 some schools we do a
year
> to make this sport a better place.

Whoa now, just calm down a little there Hoss.

Jean, you've been around this sport long enough (and although you're still
a relative Team.Net newbie, you've been on the list long enough) to realize
that there is no such thing as concensous of opinion on ANYTHING on this
sport.

Why should your posts about what is going on with the school be any
different?

You're going to get people who like reading what you have to say, and
you're going to get people who ignore what you're posting, and you're going
to get people who don't like what you're posting and bitch about it. That's
the way this works.

You have to learn to grow a thicker skin, not take everything so
personally, and extract the nuggets of good advice when they come along -
even when the source is less than stellar. "Even stopped clocks are right
twice a day"

And the nugget that came out of the last exchange is that while your posts
about the school's activities are on-topic and useful, we don't have to be
SOLD so damn much. This is Team.Net! We're all autocrossers here! We don't
need to be constantly reminded about how good the school is, or how about
how great your instructors are, or about how driver X did your school, and
took 5 seconds off his time, won a National Championship, got better
looking, got a raise, and got whiter whites and brighter colors. We KNOW
that already.

And if anybody doesn't know what the school is, then they can ask, and they
can get an answer.

> These people now are mostly gone off this list or choose not to read it
or respond
> to it due to the flaming, rocks throwing, name calling...

That's a hell of a generalization to make Jean. There are still lots and
lots of "important" people who read and respond on this list. There's a LOT
of sideband communication going on, so you may not SEE it, but it's there.

And the majority of the name calling comes from a select minority. Learn
what a Killfile is - it'll help your blood pressure.

> When you try to improve the
> sport, when you post accomplishments of people on jobs well done, when
you
> offer special things for the people who ask and you are replied to in the
way
> this school has been in the past couple months (by a few people who have
not
> been to or participated in something so beneficial to the autocrossing
world
> and especially by people who probably could benefit from some aspect of
this
> service) it is very frustrating to have to think twice about posting
> something new and exciting...and that is what Evolution is all
about...ever
> improving, ever offering new things, making this place a more fun and
> competitive place to play.  We are about giving back to the sport.

Yes, yes, the Evolution School will cure cancer, solve world hunger, and
keep your breath fresh. We know that Jean. It's not necessary to
continually remind us.

But more to the point, re-read your own message. I can reduce it to one
sentence: "Because a couple of people posted stuff that pissed me off, I'm
taking my ball and going home."

Or perhaps: "Due to complaints from a minority, the service we provided to
a majority are being suspended"

Tell me: Do any of those sentences make sense? Are you going to let a
couple of whiners piss you off to the point where you stop providing
services to the people who actually support you? What kind of logic is
that?

If you're trying to martyr yourself, it's not working.

> maybe when this net thing ever gets back to the days of long ago and more
of
> the key influential people are back with their posts, maybe when it gets
back
> to what it first was started as from what I was told it may be time to
join
> in again.

Jean... NOTHING HAS CHANGED. It's the same list it always was, and to claim
otherwise is delusional.

This whole message is a little Tough Love from a friend, and there's a lot
of other people on the list who could benefit from the same advice. Don't
take critisism so personally. Look for the nuggets of truth in even the
largest steaming mounds. Don't let the bastards grind you down. Don't shoot
the hand that feeds you.

Or in other words, keep on posting for the Evo School, but tone down the
sales pitch. Then your information won't sound so much like SPAM, and you
won't piss off a subgroup of people who are offended by SPAM and SPAM-like
substances.

DG