Re: BSM/SM2

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: BSM/SM2
From: rjohnson@friendlynet.com
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 17:03:16 -0500
Clearly, we are talking about degrees in this stuff:

  Perhaps all would agree that 1 entrant in a class at the National
Championship, on a consistent basis, is too few entries to warrant
a class.  150 entries might be universally regarded as too many, and
worth
a split.

  Perhaps all would agree that 2 classes for National competition is too
few.  150 classes might be universally regarded as too many, and worth
consolidation.

  IMO, a class populated by less than 2% of the field at a National
Championship, on a consistent basis, is too few to warrant further
inclusion as a National class.

  IMO, 62 classes is too many.  A previous SEB held strong convictions
that
they would not exceed 50, and held to that number for 6 years.  Since
1998,
the floodgates have been opened.

  I congratulate the SCAC for holding the line at 9 open classes for 12
years
now, in spite of the participant population showing that, compared to
the other categories, there should be more.  I applaud their stand,
especially in
the face of no discipline as to the number of classes in SP-P-M &
'Other'.

  I have absolutely no problem with F125, SM, STS, STR, FP, OSP or any
of
the other alphabet-soup classes run in various parts of the country, so
long
as there are sufficient entries to warrant National status.
  If this means that some of the older, established but yet
diminishing-number
classes have to go away or consolidate or have Regional-only status, so
be it.
People vote with their feet & their money.

  Roger

(Note:  I know of 4 'Roger Johnson' named folks that autocross.  There
could be more. . . . .)