Re: Large course design questions

To: "Meyer, Brian J" <Brian.Meyer@Wichita.BOEING.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Large course design questions
From: rikracer <rikracer@cwix.net>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 00:39:18 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: Meyer, Brian J <Brian.Meyer@Wichita.BOEING.com>
To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Friday, May 14, 1999 5:47 AM
Subject: Large course design questions

> I have a couple of questions about large courses.

Have to agree with most of the posts, Rocky summed it up very well.  We have
big course very often in CalClub and run 3 to 4 cars on course, 20 to 25
second interval as a base.  But the started must be aware of the type of car
and the driver and adjust accordingly.  I've had a novice come up then had
Cris O'Donnel stage right behind them. Needless to say the novice got
virtually the whole course as a lead :-))

It also depends on your timing/scoring crew.  I'm often chief of timing and
with a good experienced team can do 20 seconds or a little less, at least
for a while.  On the other hand a timing trailer full of first timers needs
30 or more to process everything.  And as Rocky mentioned, if they get
behind, you gotta hold start and get caught up or it will just snowball.
If we have fun runs at the end of the event where there is no scoring, then
we often run 15 second intervals, assuming course design presents no
conflicts.

Rick Brown
AP 240Z

Rick