Large course design questions

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Large course design questions
From: "Meyer, Brian J" <Brian.Meyer@Wichita.BOEING.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 07:47:56 -0500
I have a couple of questions about large courses.

For larger sites that have enough space for multiple cars on course (3 or
so), how much time do you typically let go by before sending the next car
out? Is 20 seconds enough of an interval? It seems to me that using a 30
second interval allows plenty of time for corner workers to reset cones and
get clear, and it allows enough time for a spun car to recover and continue
without red-flagging the cars behind it. If we could sqeeze the interval
down to 20 seconds, then we could run the cars at a much higher rate and
finish the day earlier. However, is 20 seconds unsafe? What interval is used
for national events?

How long (in feet) would you guess an 80 second course is? I realize that it
depends on how fast the course is, so I'd have to assume an average speed
somewhere between 30 and 50 mph.

Thanks,
Brian Meyer
Wichita Region SCCA