Re: Tire siping

Subject: Re: Tire siping
From: Dale Botkin <dale@botkin.org>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 08:39:01 -0500 (CDT)
On Wed, 5 May 1999, Kent Rafferty wrote:

> For autoxing, siping the tire (if legal?) may be a wash since any
> potential heating effects may be offset by additional tread squirm?
>
> My other ? is why a manufacturer wouldn't just offer a "siped" tire
> if it's a proven way to better tire performance.........

Ever seen a Blizzak?  Fantastic tire for snow and especially ice.  Lousy
on dry pavement due to the fact that the tread compound makes G-forces
look like rocks.  But on ice they're killer tires.  I don't think I'd sipe
tires intended for dry pavement, though -- I agree that tread squirm would
probably kill the tire if you autocrossed it.  You're pretty much removing
any excuse for the tread to hold together.  I bet it would be pretty
spectacular though!

Dale
---
discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
                -- Isaac Asimov