Re: Tire siping

To: "Jason Bowles" <jbowles@carol.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tire siping
From: "Kent Rafferty" <gs96@sgi.net>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 09:17:09 -0400
Tire siping is commonly done by dirt track racers.  They believe
the siping (cutting small slits in the tread blocks) helps to heat the
tire more quickly when its on the track.   The siped tread blocks
work against each other to create friction and thus heat.

For autoxing, siping the tire (if legal?) may be a wash since any
potential heating effects may be offset by additional tread squirm?

My other ? is why a manufacturer wouldn't just offer a "siped" tire
if it's a proven way to better tire performance.........

Kent Rafferty