Quad 4 Racer help needed

To: <weatherford@mindspring.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Quad 4 Racer help needed
From: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 06:13:13 -0500
Rex

I have run a Q4 in my Fiero for years. And, yes - I have experienced
a clicking after runs.

Initially, I thought it was the terrifiic heat conditions we in the Midwest
run in. My oil pressure was low after a run or series of runs. The ticking
seemed to subside for a short while after an oil change, but would return.
The noise was there only immediately after a run, and after it "cooled
down", was almost unnoticeable.

I installled an oil cooler, and ran a heavier weight oil (Valvoline 50
Racing oil). The ticking seemed to not be near as prominent, but was still
there. My oil pressure was certainly better!!

At one point, I thought it was in the timing chain, and changed that. . The
noise went away for almost a season after the timing chain change, then
returned.

The Fiero has been running with this engine since 1991, I have had no
negative problems resulting from that many years of racing it. The
"ticking" noise, whatever it is, has had no impact. On teardown, nothing
of consequence was noticed in the engine.

My new engine has the oiling mods run by IMSA in the road racing Achievas,
and I haven't had it running as yet. It will soon have a belt drive,
so if I have the noise again it will most definately be internal!!

I am forwarding a copy of this to my (and IMSA) Q4 engine builder, Tim
at Mantapart. Maybe he can offer some insight.