Street tires FS, car prep

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Street tires FS, car prep
From: Paul and Meredith Brown <racers@rt66.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 22:45:56 -0600
I have a pair of 205/55-16 BFG Comp-ZRs I have no further use for.  They
had about 1000 miles on them when Meredith wrecked the Laser, I still had
the takeoffs, and it seemed silly to send the nice new tires off to the
junkyard.  I'll have them in the truck at both Atwater and Peru (god, what
an absurd schedule!)

Autox content:

Mike Smith wrote:
>From: "msmith2" <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>
>Subject: Re: National Tour points
>
>I thought that was what Pro Solo was for.....
>
>To give the people who wanna spend thousands blueprinting everything on
>their stock class car a place to play with others like them and leaving the
>more 'amateur-ish' members who wanna just show up and drive to play in
>Solo2.

I think you are a bit confused here.  There may be a few people around who
go to the trouble of doing this sort of thing, but they are in the
minority, even at the top.  Or maybe I should say ESPECIALLY at the top.
If the car is running right, there just isn't much to be gained by
blueprinting everything.  Some cars have a weakness, and people will tend
to get everything else working well, then spend their time on the weakness.
  What I'm talking about here is things like the posi in a 3rd-gen F-Body.
Damn few of us are made of money, so we are very careful and try to be
efficient about using it to maximum advantage.  Often, there's a simple,
CHEAP way to accomplish something.  MTL works really nicely in some
transmissions.  A good tuneup right before Nationals is a good idea.  Stuff
like that.  There are an awful lot of cars which have never had the engine
taken apart, but which have won championships.  I remember Rob Falkner
telling me about this sort of thing back when he ran a 1st-gen MR2.  Seems
there were a group of these running in the San Diego area, and Rob always
won by large margins.  The other guys started making pointed remarks about
the legality of his car.  So one day he took some runs in the others, after
he'd finished the day in his.  And he outran his times in most of the
others.

In most cases, it's not the hardware that's particularly fast....

Paul and Meredith Brown

MR2:  "Not the easiest car in the world to work on"