Re: SP rules on catalytic converters

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SP rules on catalytic converters
From: "msmith2" <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:57:29 -0800
>There isn't a legal ESP pony car out there that will snap tires loose in
>2nd gear.  What you obviously don't realize is the Supra was bogged badly
>promptly BEFORE it left all that BFG rubber on the ground.  It wasn't
>because the clutch was dropped @ 4k or so.  My car wouldn't leave any mark
>leaving @ 4k, because my antiquated axle would've fallen out long ago.  And
>the fact that my converter stalls @ about 1200 rpm.

I know a LEGAL ESP 2nd gen Firebird that'll do just that. .030" over SD-455,
M-22 4spd, and a 3.73 rear. Put him in 2nd gear and he'll light'em up
anywhere you like for about as long as you like. It's just not a good
handler......

Keep in mind they're talking about a Manual here. If the Supra had bogged,
that would be an even MORE fantastic feat for it. That would mean that the
turbo and overall torque would've been SOLELY responsible for all that
spinning instead of moderate power keeping the already surprised rear tires
going.
Having driven a Conquest TSI, I can say that you do launch high in a turbo
with a manual. The load on the motor while coming back down during the
launch makes the turbo come up faster.

>Oh, and since I was thinking about your lack of torque argument/tiny engine
>argument answer me this:  How does a little 1.3 (effectively 2.6L engine)
>in an RX7 that make barely any more torque than your car @ 217 foot pound
>at a stratospheric 5000 rpm or so manage to beat up on a big mean 5.7L in
>SS?  That alone takes that argument and makes it moot.

Take the 500-600 pounds difference out of the Vette and the Rx7 won't beat
up on it anymore..
It's kinda like asking how a 240Z can win BSP.........size and weight.

Mike