Re: SP rules and ESP Clarification

To: "msmith2" <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>
Subject: Re: SP rules and ESP Clarification
From: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 19:52:12 -0500
At 07:19 PM 3/22/99 -0800, msmith2 wrote:
>That's easy. In order to get your 325lb/ft, you had to get the automatic
>that goes back to first when ya do a 20mph roll-on in 2nd.

Well, my car is an L98 w/ 345 foot pounds, and we did different tests.
Every time I got killed.

 The faster 4th
>gen cars are all 6-spds (due to the lower torque peak RPM of the 3rd gen
>cars).

WRONG!!!!  An LT1 makes 325 ft/lbs @ 2400 rpm.  My L98 makes 345 ft/lbs. @
3300 rpm.  And they Lt1 doesn't have a torque converter to suck up any
power.

>I still think they're close enough in AX that it doesn't matter much. The
>'97 win was driving, pure and simple. As proof, 3rd gen cars didn't win in
>'95,'96, or '98. In all 4 years, there was a healthy dose of both
>generations in the top 10.

Ummm, I beg to differ.  Chris drove the wheels off of it to be sure, but he
wasn't in a handicapped car.  FWIW Brian Goodner won in '96 in a '91.  I
won a bunch last year when competing with both the National Champ and the
ProSolo champ among many others that are just as quick on any given day.

3rd gens. were 2nd and 4th after the South course @ Nats.  I fell from 4th
to 6th, Lynne dropped from 2 to 3 in hers.  But, times were right there and
Chris Ramey told me he should've brought his 92 instead of his LS1.

>I do wish they hadn't gotten so carried away with the windshield rake on the
>4th gen cars,
>
>I only think the SLA cars are better because of the insane negative camber
>requirements of the newer radials. In order to get a 3rd gen car to maintain
>that camber in turns, you hafta dial it all in as static camber.

No you don't, and the 4th gen has a much worse curve than the 3rd gen.  I
run 1.3 degrees and have perfect tire temps.  4th gen guys don't get that
much camber and don't have temps like that.

Sam Strano Jr.
Strano Performance Parts
800-729-1831
814-849-3417 (tech.)