Re: Fuel Cut off and Turbos

To: "Mac Crossett" <macross@gte.net>,
Subject: Re: Fuel Cut off and Turbos
From: "David Hawkins" <otgrouch@twosrus.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 23:27:05 -0600
Okay...I'll toss my gallon of gas on this fire....

>Well, my sources tell me that the Supra's ECU actually has a secondary MAP
>sensor that controls the boost...and that is what triggers the fuel cut.
>Obviously, in a protest, the service manual and any associated material
>would have to be brought forth to prove this, but it would seem that the
>Supra's fuel cut would violate the "Devices know as "fuel cut defensers",
>and any modifications which alter or defeat the fuel
>cutoff when it is activated by boost level, are not permitted."

You are right that there is a MAP sensor secondary to the ECU, but that's
a Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor that is used for determining the correct
ignition timing and fuel maps for given conditions.  This sensor leading to
fuel
cut is no different from the DSM AFM giving you fuel cut based on air flow.

The FCD available for this system splices into the wire from the MAP sensor
to the ECU and has an adjustable setting the determines at what pressure
fuel cut occurs.

Technically, simply unplugging the vacuum line to this sensor is a
modification
to the fuel system (if I'm to play on the DSM argument here).

That said, I think that ANYTHING that leads to fuel cut on a turbocharged
car
is a boost limiting device.  I don't care if it's a MAP sensor, AFM, ECU, or
FM box....it kills your power based on airflow, and it's only found on turbo
cars.  That makes it a boost limiter.

David Hawkins
93 MR2T rendered totally helpless in ASP by the FCD rule (fuel cut at 12psi)
85 MR2