RE: electric impact wrenches

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: electric impact wrenches
From: "Moore, John" <jmoore@spyglass.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 16:33:01 -0600
> Perhaps my electric impact wrench just sucks (I do have one, but I don't
> use it much), but I found it way faster to break the torque by hand than
> to wait while the impact wrench chugs away.  Its no air gun....

        [Moore, John]  I think your Electric Impact wrench just sucks
because my Craftsman Electric Impact wrench works as well as any Air Impact
I have used, just it can't apply as much force. It's only rated for 250
Ft/Lbs, but I have yet to find any bolt on a car that that is not enough. As
for using it for Lug Nuts, theres no way it should be used for them. It puts
250 ft/lbs of force in either direction. I figure if I screw up sometime
when trying to loosen a lug and accidently tighten it, the broken wheel
stud, or damaged wheel is not worth the conveinience factor of the impact
wrench. I personally use an old style speed wrench (sometimes called a cross
wrench, or x wrench or spinner wrench) and it works well. It was only $12 at
Sears Hardware and easily allows me to break 76 ft/lbs of torque at the lugs
as well as spin off and on quickly.

        John Moore
        1993 Toyota MR2 NA