Re: Aluminum Sump QuestionsIMPORTANT

To: Russ Eshelman <RussE@Firstva.com>
Subject: Re: Aluminum Sump QuestionsIMPORTANT
From: Ron Tebo <tebomr@cadvision.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 05:48:49 -0600
Russ:

Part of what Jarrid was saying was that a larger mass of fluid will
behave in ways that are not easily predictable, when subjected to
inertial forces, and in a sump with baffles and pickup not designed for
the sump. Even engine designers sometimes goof, as in the six that was in
my wife's '62 Ford Fairlane. She claimed that it had "a special light
that told her when it needed oil". After investigation, it turned out
that hard braking forced most of the oil to the front of the sump due to
poor baffling, and oil pump starvation was causing the oil pressure
light-up. I welded in an extra baffle and her special feature
disappeared, but some design engineer had goofed!

Ron Tebo