[6pack] B Pillar Blues

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] B Pillar Blues
From: Martin Romagni <mrdr3600@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 12:14:49 -0800 (PST)
Hello everyone,

This year I finally have my TR6 in storage that is warm and
I can work on it in the winter. Now Im tackling a number of projects. I got
my passengers side high beam to work thanks to several of you on this list.
FWIW, it was a bad ground.

Next up is correct seat belt mounting. For
reference, my TR6 has 3 point seat belts. The problem is that the drivers side
seat belt is mounted incorrectly. The point that should be attached to the
bottom of the B pillar is instead attached to the same point as the middle,
that is, the bolt under the retractor.

The reason is that the bolt in the B
pillar has been broken off. I have tried to drill out the stud with no
success. Ive snapped off several drill bits in an attempt to do so.

So now
Im looking for other alternatives to removing the stud or another way to
mount that point of the seat belt. Ive considered removing the rear fender,
but Im not sure I can access the broken off stud if I did that. How hard is
it to cut out the B pillar? Should I weld another bolt to the bottom of the B
pillar to mount the seat belt? Other things that Ive considered is relocating
the mounting point to the heel board (the vertical part that is attached to
the rear floor assembly).

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Marty