RE: Rebush Front suspension

To: "Bruce Moxon" <bamxn@triad.rr.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rebush Front suspension
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:20:54 -0800
        Bruce:

        I have had limited success with the Bentley non-spring
compressor method on the front. HOWEVER, it only works with the
engine/body on the car (you need the weight to compress the springs) and
I found it difficult to reinstall the springs, and ended up using a
spring compressor anyway. Removing the rear springs without a compressor
is a piece of cake.
        I built a front spring compressor for $9. I got 2 feet of 1/2"
threaded rod from the hardware store, some suitable nuts, and a short
length of angle iron. I cut the angle iron to be slightly longer than
the spring is wide, then drilled a hole in the angle iron (didn't have a
1/2" bit, so I used my 3/8" bit and enlarged it with a rotary file in my
drill). Slapped the whole thing together, and voila! Look in the Moss
catalog at their $50 spring compressor to see how it goes together
<giggle>.

        Cheers,

        Vance
Cogito Ergo Zoom