RE: Rebush Front suspension

To: "Peter Macholdt" <vze2846b@verizon.net>,
Subject: RE: Rebush Front suspension
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:03:25 -0800
        Peter:

        I am not attempting to throw stones, but I wanted to state for
the record that this sort of thing is highly subjective. One person's
"Not harsh" is another person's "Rides like a brick wagon". My
experience with modifying car engines and suspensions is that
satisfaction with a particular mod is highly dependant on the individual
tastes.
        My experience with urethane bushings is that there *IS* a
noticeable increase in harshness (in my case, it was replacing the rear
swing arm bushings with urethane), and they *DO* squeak unless special
measures are taken. I have ridden in other's cars with urethane
bushings, and when I ask them about the squeaks I hear they invariably
say something like "It never squeaked before", somehow implying it's my
fault. For the record, I went back to rubber bushings in my swing arms
after about 6 months.
        Likewise with camshafts. In my Z28, I consulted numerous people
on the Camaro mailing list as to what would be a good street cam for an
automatic transmission. An overwhelming response was for a particular
cam. Only one person expressed reservations about it's suitability for
street use with an automatic.
        Well, no sooner did the cam go in than the car began to
occasionally stall in reverse. The idle was so rough that the car would
shake at idle whenever I would wait for stop light. Etc... Writing back
to the list with these complaints, I got a bunch of replies like "Oh,
SURE it shakes, but I don't mind..." or "Mine stalls in reverse too, so
I just feather the throttle a bit and then it almost never happens..."
You get the idea.
        So, more food for thought on the TR6 Nylatron bushings vs.
urethane vs. rubber: Try someone else's car with the modifications
BEFORE you go to the trouble of converting your car over to the latest
whiz-bang suspension mod. You may find that despite some hearty
endorsements, it is not to your liking and you will end up doing it
over. And be realistic - little annoyances have a way of becoming big
annoyances over time. So if you aren't sure if it is to your liking,
realize that "minor annoyance" may well turn into loathing in 3-4
months.
        To those of you who love urethane/Nylatron/aluminum bushings, go
for it! Choice in life is a terrific thing and I am glad you have found
the right combination for your tastes. To the rest of you, proceed
cautiously - there are lots of ways to bugger things up pretty good. I
should know, 'cause I have done more than my share of buggering.

        Cheers,

        Vance

Cogito Ergo Zoom
(I think, therefore I go fast)