Re: Carburettor rebuild questions

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carburettor rebuild questions
From: "Todd Bermudez" <red_tr250@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 23:36:53 -0500
All,

Just got done cleaning one of my TR250 carbs.  Initially, I dipped them in
carb cleaner.  Used a brush...seems like it should work better.  A buddy of
mine(Mitch) suggested using Phosphoric Acid Tub/Tile cleaner...available at
Lowes.  I dipped a few parts in...OK this is where I learned what you can
leave in & NOT leave in.  The dashpot cover was left in overnight.  Big
mistake(came out clean, but pitted)...now it's a throw away or maybe let the
kids play with it.  The carb body & float bowl...no problem.  The stuff
works great.  Just keep dipping & brushing.  It will leave a residue.  Use
thinner to remove it.  It works faster than carb cleaner.

Just have to be careful of which parts you dip.  Guess certain parts were
made of different grades of metal.  It will clean them all and fast, just
watch how much time they're in.  The temperature compensator is one that
will get eaten as well as the choke & that vacuum gizmo(technical term).
All other parts, linkage type stuff can be soaked overnight.  It does a
wonderful job on rusty parts as well.

After the phosphoric acid treatment, I hit the parts with blue magic
aluminum polish.  cheaper than mother's.  The carbs shine as if they're
highly polished or chrome.  Of course with the carb bodies, you're looking
at a cue tip to get at all those nooks & crannies(more technical terms).

Have fun,

Todd Bermudez
TR250 CD3705L(under construction!)