[TR] How smooth does the face of a block really need to be

Paul Tegler ptegler at verizon.net
Wed Dec 12 19:59:47 MST 2018

If your block has a lip...it's a different head gasket than with a flat
block deck.

The recessed block head gasket actually has thicker rings embedded
around the cyl bore, overhanging that recess.  GT6 did the same thing on
later models. One gasket should have a tang that sticks out of the back
of the head identifying the type (rings or not)

If you lay a straight edge on top the block,and can see light under the
ruler when lit from behind....seriously consider a skim. Your cyls are
less likely to blow, but the water ways and oil galleries can still be
an issue if not VERY flat (and the head VERY flat)

ptegler

--
Paul Tegler
ptegler at verizon.net  www.teglerizer.com