[TR] Chassis Paint - POR

StagByTriumph at triumphstagclub.org StagByTriumph at triumphstagclub.org
Sat Mar 4 16:53:04 MST 2017

Dave,

I did POR-15 on my Triumph Stag undercarriage about 15 years ago.

After several coats of POR-15,  I finished with a rubberized / fiber automotive undercoat.  This has not changed appearance in those 15 years and can still take hammer hits and not come off.

The key to POR-15 adhering is the surface prep as per the detail instructions, cleaning, mixing, applying in thin coverage coats.

Most important was a final surface clean with their “Marine Clean” solvent ( use in a WELL ventilated area) before applying the POR-15.

Second most important was to use the POR-15 out of the small cans and in small quantities when applying. I used 4 oz paper solo cups.  A little POR-15 covers a lot of surface area.  Only use the larger can if you are going to use it all in one or two days.  Once the stuff hits the air with moisture  it starts to cure, and it will adhere  the lid on the opened and closed paint can so you cannot open the lid.

I applied the POR-15 with the chassis on a rotisserie using disposable natural bristle 2” brushes and 4”roller for flat spots working deep into everywhere and reapplying within the recommended times for overcoats. Make sure you have no exposed skin  because POR-15 is almost impossible off your skin.

As to Natural chassis color of the undercarriage, the factory also added an undercoat spray  in the wheel wells and floor pan bottoms covering the chassis color,  or in the case of cars produced after 1970, overtop of the Electrostatic primer.  Some degree of tar based undercoat was also applied at the dealers in the standard dealer prep ( I did that as a lot boy /  apprentice because it was a dirty job the uppity mechanics did not like doing),  but full “rustproofing” was an optional cost adder.

Cheers!

Glenn Merrell

aka StagByTriumph Garage (now on FaceBook)

Remember, “the BEST trophies are: Miles on the Odometer; Stone chips in the paint; and DEAD BUGS on the windscreen … with the occasional smell of manure!”