[Mgs] Suspicious noise

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Fri Aug 20 01:26:02 MDT 2021

You say that, but neither the wheel bearings nor the drive train are under any load.  You could check the former by getting the car rolling then taking it out of gear and seeing how the noise changes, and the latter by driving the rear wheels when on jacks with the handbrake on.

It's more likely to be the front brakes binding than the bearings, I'd have thought.

If it does it rolling as well as driving and you are brave enough and can find someone you can trust, you could lie on the ground as they roll past you and that might show whether it's from the front or the back.

  With the car on front & rear jack stands the noise isn't there. With the front wheels on the ground and the rear on stands and transmission engaged, the noise also isn't there so one could assume the drive train isn't the root cause on my noise. My suspicion is that it is somewhere in the front axles but visual inspection hasn't produced any clues.