[Mgs] Suspicious noise

jimray at hartcom.net jimray at hartcom.net
Thu Aug 19 11:28:03 MDT 2021

I have an 80 MGB Rover V8 with a BW T35 automatic. The car recently started
producing a knocking noise when in motion (forward or reverse) and I can't
find its source. It has been sitting on blocks for a couple of years but
started every month and allowed to reach running temperature. The
transmission was also exercised during this monthly startup and appears to
be working as it should. The front wheels turned freely before the car was
put on blocks but now are difficult to spin over as though the bearings
might be too tight. Breaks work fine.

With the car on front & rear jack stands the noise isn't there. With the
front wheels on the ground and the rear on stands and transmission engaged,
the noise also isn't there so one could assume the drive train isn't the
root cause on my noise. My suspicion is that it is somewhere in the front
axles but visual inspection hasn't produced any clues.

Needless to say, I am perplexed. Any thoughts or suggestion you may have are
greatly appreciated.

Jim Ray
Hartwell, Georgia