[Mgs] i am so frustrated!!!!

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Wed Mar 20 02:24:06 MDT 2019

Firstly I have no idea how much you know.  Secondly I'm treating this as a simple non-starter and ignoring what you have done and the fact it seemed to run at some point..

I take it you had both valves for No.1 cylinder closed when the piston was at TDC?  It's only then the rotor will be in the correct position, and the leads should be fitted to the cap 1 3 4  2 anti-clockwise from there.

After cranking a bit are the plugs wet or at least smelling strongly of fuel?  If not fuel isn't getting through.  Does the pump deliver fuel if the hose is removed from the carb and directed into a container?

Have you checked for a spark at each plug lead when cranking?  If you have an old-fashioned neon timing light you can check when No.1 is getting its spark.  A powered timing light may need to be run off a separate 12v supply as the reduced voltage when cranking may not be enough.

If it only runs with the key held in the crank position then there is a break in the normal ignition supply via the ballast wire.

What ignition system does it have?  Original 45DE4?  45DM4?  Points?  Or after-market electronic?

  got all the wiring reredone after I butchered it reremoving and rereplacing fuel pumps, put back the various hoses and things I had removed in the engine compartment after removing the valve cover.

  Nada.