[Mgs] Chain hoist or shop crane for lifting an engine/trans?

Dan DiBiase dan.dibiase at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 08:21:37 MDT 2017

Since I don't have a lift, I purchased a 1-ton folding hoist from Harbor
Freight when I replaced the engine in my '76B a few years ago. I used
strapping around the engine to remove the engine/trans combo. The total
weight is something like 468 pounds with the ancillaries removed. I undid
the bonnet strut and removed the radiator and radiator support but didn't
need to remove the bonnet itself. I did jack up the back of the car. I had
no issues realigning the trans and engine on the garage floor before
re-installing it.

I think it would be better to use this method vs. the lift, as others have
noted, so you can move the engine around as needed.

http://s24.photobucket.com/user/ddibiase/library/1976%20MGB%20Engine%20Work?sort=3&page=1

Dan D
'76B, '65B
Central NJ USA