[Mgs] Tyre life expectancy

Aaron Whiteman awhitema at panix.com
Thu May 27 07:52:36 MDT 2010

On May 27, 2010, at 6:35 AM, gordies garage wrote:

> I recall learning that after some amount of time (7 - 10 yrs?) that the
rubber tends to harden and grip suffers.  My BGT has 10+ yr old tyres (Pirelli
P600) and can be downright dangerous in the rain, too much slip on dry as
well.  The Dunlop SP20's on my A are only about 5 yrs old and grip nicely once
warmed up, but not enough experience with them lately in the rain to offer an
opinion.

Gordie, tires are a safety device, replace those Pirellis if they are
dangerous!

I currently have a ~3 year old set of Bridgestone RE960 on my car, with a
"40000 mile warranty".  They'll never see 40K; I'll replace them in a couple
years (with maybe 15K).  I'd replace them this year, but I have a 2006 Subaru
that needs new tires too.

I'll be going back to the Yoko ES100 on the MG.  No mileage warranty and I
wear out a set in about 15K miles... but oh do they hold a car to the road!

--
Aaron