[Mgs] Tyre life expectancy

Paul Root ptrmgb at gmail.com
Thu May 27 08:14:32 MDT 2010

About 4 years ago I got my daily driver 1999 Impreza Outback Sport. It had
been sitting for about a year and had older tires on it. It had about 70,000
miles on it. I'm pretty sure the tires had been changed at least once.

They seemed ok in the dry, not great. But when there was any rain, they were
downright scary. You couldn't make a left turn at any normal speed. I replaced
them quickly.  It was an incredible transformation.

On May 27, 2010, at 8:35 AM, gordies garage wrote:

> I recall learning that after some amount of time (7 - 10 yrs?) that the
rubber tends to harden and grip suffers.  My BGT has 10+ yr old tyres (Pirelli
P600) and can be downright dangerous in the rain, too much slip on dry as
well.  The Dunlop SP20's on my A are only about 5 yrs old and grip nicely once
warmed up, but not enough experience with them lately in the rain to offer an
opinion.

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/mg_garage@comcast.net

signature database 5149 (20100527) __________