[Mgs] ZDDP in oil

Rick Lindsay rolindsay at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 15:51:18 MDT 2008

I've heard that too Stephen.  The advice used to be to never use synthetic in a newly rebuilt engine.  The again, the first synthetic oils leaked pretty badly in old cars.  Since then, the makers have reformulated synthetics so that they seal better.  Rememberm paper gasket seals seal when swolen with fluids.  The first synthetics didn't adequately wet the gaskets (or swell seals).

Modern oils don't break down like ancient oils did.  Still, its still MHO that the best solution is to use the oil originally intended and change it often to throw away the debris that it collects.  I use 20W50 Castrol GTX and change the filter with every change.  Something like 5000 mile intervals.

rick