[Mgs] ZDDP in oil

Aaron Whiteman awhitema at panix.com
Wed Sep 10 16:08:57 MDT 2008

On Sep 10, 2008, at 2:51 PM, Rick Lindsay wrote:

> Modern oils don't break down like ancient oils did.  Still, its
> still MHO that the best solution is to use the oil originally
> intended and change it often to throw away the debris that it
> collects.  I use 20W50 Castrol GTX and change the filter with every
> change.  Something like 5000 mile intervals.

There is the key to the whole debate.

The Castrol GTX I can buy today is NOT the same as the GTX I bought 10
years ago.

For years, I've bought GTX 20-50 or 10-30 depending on the season.  I
changed it every 3000 miles or 6 months, whichever came first.
Typically, this meant a change in March, July, and November.

 From what I've read, the current formulation of 10-30 is bad news for
my car, the 20-50 is just barely ok-ish.  I'll be switching to
something that advertises higher levels of ZDDP, and continue to run
Castrol GTX 5-30 in my Subaru (where the SM formula is appropriate).

--
Aaron Whiteman -- http://www.panix.com/~awhitema/MG/
  '75 MGB (in pieces), HIF4 carbs

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pkcs7-signature which had a name of smime.p7s]