[Healeys] Sway bar bushings

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Oct 29 09:06:51 MDT 2020

'consensus of opinion???!!!'  That's funny!

I've used nylon and urethane--which may be what 'prothane' is--over the
years on my BJ8. In general, they do what you'd expect; i.e. stiffen
things up (and//they///should/ last forever). There are two potential
drawbacks: they may squeek, and making one part of a suspension more
rigid puts a greater load on related parts. Urethane or nylon sway bar
bushes will put a somewhat greater load on your end links. When I put
the urethane bushes in, however, I also added a thicker sway bar,
uprated end links and urethane bushes on the links. I don't remember the
order of installation, but IIRC when I added the sway bar, before the
uprated end links, I broke an end link (it snapped at the thread). FWIW,
when I added the larger sway bar, plus uprated links and bushes, I felt
the car stayed flatter in corners.

I got the sway bar and end links from Addco, don't recall where I got
the bushes. They do squeek a little; a fellow on this list has gone so
far as to add zerks on his A-arm bushes to prevent squeeks (I think some
will squeek eventually, regardless of manufacturer claims).

Bob