[Healeys] Sealants and fasteners

gradea1 at charter.net gradea1 at charter.net
Sun May 31 12:25:01 MDT 2020

Soon after I owned a Healey 100, I equipped my tool box with three
kinds of wrenches: normal SAE, Metric and BS/Whitworth. This
combination will handle any size nut or bolt on the car (oops, I also
needed a set of BA wrenches for the small stuff).
So, with all this talk of what fastener-British or American
(Unified)?...I went to the Austin Service Journal Volume 25 and have
included this info which may help you in fitting nuts and bolts to
your 100. If you use the Austin Parts List manual (#1050) you will
note that the BSF nuts and bolts and studs all have a part number
starting with 2K...for instance front engine support bolts 2K5946 and
nuts 2K3977. These are BSF fasteners. When the agreed change was made
to unified (about Sept.1954 they started using them, after first using
up all they had of British items), the part numbers became something
like HBZ0512. These are Unified Fasteners. I copied about 5 pages from
this volume-attached FYI- but you can find this whole volume 25
published on the internet.
You will note that the letters describe the size, length, thread pitch
and type of material its made of so you can replace the parts with the
exact same item. If you thread a nut onto the bolt, and it only goes
on about three threads, you probably have mixed UNF with BSF. Better
check the charts and parts book!Hank, healeyhelper.com

Healeys"