[Healeys] Sealants and fasteners

Steven Kingsbury airtightproductions at icloud.com
Sun May 31 12:48:39 MDT 2020

I also have three kinds of wrenches and many times discover I need something I don't have. I've actually had to replace all my tools and other stuff because of the fire I went through, but that's another story. As to the bolts going in through the tappet cover, there are no nuts on those and they go right into the block. I thought I had them all measured out, and the bolts laid out correctly for re-install, but I still ran into problems but eventually got them all back in and flush.
   The reason I am using "The Right Stuff" is from two mechanics recommending it. And I am laying down a bead about the size of a BB so hopefully if I ever have to remove the tappet cover, I'll have a reasonable chance of completing the task. I would not use "The RS" on my oil pan, nor would I use it on a rocker cover. Gaskets there with heat capable silicone on one side and oil on the other works for me.
   Thanks for the list of fasteners. That just might come in handy. Appreciate it.
   I thought I was just going to be able to hone my cylinders, put the new rings back on the pistons and move on, but alas, after some measuring and calculations from someone who actually knows what they are doing, it was discovered my engine was actually producing over 11 to 1 compression! Now if I could get 100 plus octane anywhere I go, I might be happy with that. But with the fact that this engine would run on when shut off, and not wanting to constantly add octane booster with each tank of gas, I decided to get new pistons and bring the compression down to a reasonable amount.
   I'm learning as I go, making some mistakes here and there, learning constantly, but figuring I can do this. I've got the time and the curiosity, mix that with some basic knowledge, I'm moving forward. Stay tuned as the engine will be out soon and off to the machine shop to get bored and honed to spec. Then the re-assemble shall commence, followed by the installation back into my car, followed closely by the first attempt at actually starting it up again! Scary, but hey, why not?!
Steven Kingsbury