[Healeys] Electrical update

Fred Wescoe fredwescoe at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 16:04:09 MDT 2018


A month or so ago I asked about an electrical issue I was having.  It was a
no start issue but the car would start with a jumper cable from the battery
to the starter solenoid.  After a great deal of testing, cussing and
frustration, I found that with car jumped (see above) and the jumper cable
removed, the battery was not being charged.

I connected an 18 Gage wire to the battery and then to my volt meter and
then to the solenoid.  I was touching the battery post and the center of
the cable connector at the solenoid.  I would always get 12 volts before
starting the car but the car would not start.

I discovered that the battery solenoid cable was badly corroded inside the
connector and not passing current from the center of the actual cable to
the connector.  So while I thought I had power thru the cable to the
solenoid, I actually did not.  I replaced the entire cable and the car
started instantly.  The battery was now also being recharged.

When I removed the original battery cable I discovered that behind the
panel the cable passes thru at the battery, had what appeared to be some
sort of electrical choke.  The "choke" is about 1 1/2" long and about 1" in
diameter.  This "choke" appears to be burned or at least overheated in some
manner.  I did not replace this"choke" and things seem fine.  Anyone know
what this"choke" is all about?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://autox.team.net/pipermail/healeys/attachments/20180726/f635dc4a/attachment.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: 20180726_071620.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 2226125 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://autox.team.net/pipermail/healeys/attachments/20180726/f635dc4a/attachment.jpg>

More information about the Healeys mailing list