[Healeys] Tires for BJ8

Len and/or Marge Hartnett thehartnetts at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 10 21:28:09 MDT 2018

This is an update regarding my e-mail to The List that was a response to Earl Kagna.  He stated that the Michelin XAS tire required an inner tube.  I stated that I had XAS tires on tubeless wire wheels without inner tubes.  Earl questioned what tire I actually had.

I went out to the garage and "read" my tires. They are 180 HR 15 XAS. Then, I went around the tire to see what else might be imbedded in the rubber. Right below "MICHELIN" in plain sight, it says, (drum roll), "Tube Type" (cymbal crash)

Not the wheel seller or the tire seller/installer mentioned that to me. That could be understandable since the tires were purchased some time after wheels.
 ..
So, what now? I need to find out why those tires need a tube and is it important enough that I should dismount them and install tubes? Does it have something to do with the mold and whether it will fit the rim properly?  Is it the inner construction that needs the support of the inner tube to keep it from falling apart?  Does the wider sidewall need the support to limit flexing?

I will try to find out what Michelin has to say about this.

(The Other) Len
Fairfield, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031