[Healeys] Pertronix question

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Nov 2 20:42:10 MDT 2017

Bruce,

I recommend you call Pertronix and discuss with one of their techs; I've
found them to be knowledgeable and helpful.

IIRC, the wiring scheme is different for a pos. ground car vs. a neg.
ground car.  (pos. gnd. is simpler, and allows you to retain the
'anti-theft' feature of the w/b wire to the cutoff switch with a bit of
modification, if you so choose).  Their site says the II requires
suppression ignition wires, so you'll need a different cap and wires.
If by 'points plate' you mean the advance plate, the answer is no; the
Pertronix replaces the points screw-for-screw (minus the condenser, of
course).  Timing will be off--probably retarded by 20deg or more--after
the Pertronix install.

The Ignitors (Is) in my BN2 and BJ8 gave overall improvement with OEM
coils; they'll throw a 3/4 inch spark outside the cylinder.

Bob