[Healeys] TR6 question

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 08:44:07 MST 2016

Hi Ira,
Kees comments are all completely valid however one problem with TR6's that
he mentioned but did not emphasize...
FRAME RUST the box section of the frame, particularly where the rear
trailing arms pivot, is a weakness. If it is weak the trailing arms can
pull out under heavy braking usually resulting in the rear wheel pivoting
around and going under the frame. Think rollover....
I would also mention that the valve rockers run steel on steel and wear
badly, the gearbox can be a disaster, the differentials fail regularly as
do the rear wheel bearings which are "challenging" to correctly repair and
replacing U joints is regular maintenance item.
Frankly put IMHO later TR's, both Spitfires and their bigger brothers do
not have the design and build of an MG or Healey.
Michael S
BN1 #174

--
*If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.*