[Fot] Was: Oil Cooler or Oil filter first? Now how to ID flow out the adapter?

Greg Solow gregmogdoc at surfnetusa.com
Tue Dec 11 01:52:44 MST 2018

A few years back we had the same issue with oil cooler bursting. It
happened 3 times just after a cold engine startup at the track. We found
that the fix was to make sure the oil cam up out of the pump, into the
filter, then past the oil pressure relief valve before it went into the
cooler. When the oil is cold and the engine is first started, revving
the engine even a little bit before the oil has warmed up and thinned
out a bit causes pressure surges that pass through the oil line. this
surge will exceed the ability of the cooler radiator to hold it. after
redesigning the oi filter line adapter as stated above, all cooler
radiator failures just flat out stopped.  This is on a TR-4 engine  in
Morgan. We generally run 20-50 brad penn 1 oil.  the pressure relief
valve it set to open at 70 psi with the oil temp about 180 degrees, this
is at around 2000 rpm, just as called for in the shop manual.

          As far as the oil temp goes.   I also have an aluminum finned
sump on both my race car and my street car.  I also have an oil temp
gauge in each pan.  The alloy  pan is quite an effective oil cooler.
The oil temp can easily get up to 180 or 190 degrees F on an 85 degree
day in stop and go traffic. once traffic starts to move at over 40 mph,
within 2 miles or so the oil temp will normally drop right down to 140.
To get it to run at a higher temp, I have built a leather cover that
surrounds the pan on the front, both sides, & the bottom to stop the air
flow over the oil pan fins and sides.. It is held to the engine by 6
extra long bolts 3 down each side of the pan.    .sometimes, we have had
to do this while running an engine on a dyno to get the oil hot enough.

On one full race engine that we built, we could see signs of contact
between the main bearing shell and the crank journals with main bearing
clearances of .00175.  Opening up those main clearances by .001" to
.00275 got rid of all signs  of contact and lowered the engine oil temp
on the dyno 50 degrees F. With a well prepared oil pump, there is plenty
of oil delivery with that much main bearing clearance.