Re: Head and Neck Safety Devices

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Head and Neck Safety Devices
From: Thomas Matychowiak <tcm43@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 23:49:15 -0700 (PDT)
There is also the phenomenon of unintended consequences.  When anti-lock brakes
first became available, insurers offered discounts for vehicles so-equipped in
anticipation of fewer accidents.  That expectation was not realized, and some
research in Germany  demonstrated that people driving cars with anti-lock
brakes drove more aggresively, i.e. followed more closely, braked later, than
did drivers of cars not so equiped.

I think there are two type of racers, both of which connect with the percetion
of danger.  Some have an element of fear that they will tolerate, and other
have a level of excitement they need to reach.  For either, improving safety
raises the level, and makes incidents more likely.

Frankly, I agree with Carl and some others who have said the whatever benefit
the Hans device confers is with the straight-on collision.  The  problem is
that no matter how securely the skull is held in place, the brain still
continues in motion.

There is one device which, theoretically, could be able to help decelerate the
skull and brain, the Isaac device.  I have no experience with this and do not
suggest that the device does everything as claimed.  But their theory makes
sense.

http://www.isaacdirect.com/html/OtherPages/RacersComments.html

TomM