Re: Vintage race cars built today

To: "Grant Reynolds" <grant62@starpower.net>, <Tombread@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Vintage race cars built today
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlynneracing@home.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:48:06 -0700
As a tech inspector with CSRG, my goal is to insure the car is safe to race.
I leave determining if the car is "legal" to someone else.

Over 400 of the original 106 Lotus 23's still racing? Geez, I guess Colin
did a better job than anyone expected in building a "Throw-away Racecar"!!
As per the previous paragraph: If I'm inspecting VIN #10, or I'm inspecting
VIN #296, and both are (mechanically and physically) the same, then why
can't they race together??

If I showed up at the next event with a Lotus 23B sporting a horizontal fan
Porsche 904 engine, would I be allowed to race; claiming that the car was
'period correct'? On the other hand, if George Follmer showed up with the
same car would HE be allowed to race? (George Follmer was the USRRC Champion
in 1967 driving a Lotus 23B with a 904 engine shoehorned into it).

I think that creating a "Replica Class" in vintage racing might be a lot of
fun. It could result in a few more cars being there, which could lower the
entry fees a few bucks, maybe generate a few new fans..... and on and on.
No, I don't relish the idea of "plastic Speedsters" racing against the real
things, but why not give them a class they can race in!

As a famous man once said: "enough for now......"
    Carl