Re: Vintage race cars built today

To: Carl McLelland <carlynneracing@home.com>,
Subject: Re: Vintage race cars built today
From: Brett Johnson <356drb@indy.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 15:16:39 -0800
on 7/11/01 11:48 AM, Carl McLelland at carlynneracing@home.com wrote:

> If I showed up at the next event with a Lotus 23B sporting a horizontal fan
> Porsche 904 engine, would I be allowed to race; claiming that the car was
> 'period correct'? On the other hand, if George Follmer showed up with the
> same car would HE be allowed to race? (George Follmer was the USRRC Champion
> in 1967 driving a Lotus 23B with a 904 engine shoehorned into it).

Talk about shoehorning a four-cam engine... how about the one from the late
James Dean's Spyder that was installed in a new Lotus Mk. IX in 1956 and
raced at Pebble Beach that year?  The car was last run at Pomona in October
1956, but is reportedly still intact.  A nice period photo is in the
March/April 2001 356 Registry magazine.

Brett