Re: Speedvisioon coverage of Watkins and Lime Rock

To: Tombread@aol.com, John.Desantis@inficon.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speedvisioon coverage of Watkins and Lime Rock
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:37:28 -0500
I watched Watkins Glen right after an hour of Goodwood.  I was struck by
several things - the cars and general level of excitement at Goodwood was
far higher (the cars looked like they were being driven on the edge, and
were sliding about most impressively), the quality of the announcing and
discussion was way more "intelligent" (wrong word, but something like
that), and while incidents happened at Goodwood, they did a lot more than
show the start, all the shunts and then the final corner of the
race!  Which is what my impression of the Watkins coverage left me with.  I
saw lots of shots of cars with a corner or two hanging off, with no
coverage of the actual racing that resulted in the dismembered corner.

I taped the Goodwood while I turned the Watkins Glen show off after 45
minutes. FWIW.

Brian

At 11:57 AM 11/28/00 -0500, Tombread@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 11/28/00 11:35:54 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
>John.Desantis@inficon.com writes:
>

> > These events are
> > suppose to be about the cars
> > but the coverage was almost exclusively of the top 3 cars in each class.
> > What gives Speedvision?
> >
>It was very shallow coverage, I suppose because of time constraints; they had
>two hours worth of content crammed into one hour.  I would like to have seen
>more closeups of the cars rather than distant racing shots-- this is supposed
>to be about the cars rather than the drivers (or how they finish, which is
>incidental to the show).
>
>Tom Butters
>The Greens Fork Group
>Creative Communications Services