Re: Eastlake

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Eastlake
From: "Gregory Nagy" <gnagy@intrepid.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 05:59:18 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: <Bill5600@aol.com>
To: <malcox@sonic.net>
Cc: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2000 6:23 PM

> Dear Malcolm;
>
> There is a gentleman from around Sterling, Iowa who races an Eastlake with
> V.S.C.D.A. His car was built in part if not entirely by Pat Prince in
> Sterling. The name Eastlake is a play on words relating to the Westlake
cars
> from England. During the 80's Chris Smith started the manufacture of kit
cars
> one being a sports car that looked like a Lotus 7 called the Westfield 7
he
> also made a sports racing car based on Sprite / Midget running gear that
had
> a body that was a copy of a Lotus 11. The Westfield 11 won many races in
> England with engines from 750 cc to 1500 cc. The cars were imported by a
> fellow in Florida for US distribution. More info can be found on the
> Westfield web site, www.open.org/joerger/westfield.html. I have a
Westfield
> 11 for sale that is 98% completed with less than 1 mile (around the block)
> fitted with 1275, 5 speed Datsun gearbox, 14" wire wheels, which was built
by
> the importers head mechanic. The car is eligible to race with several
groups
> or can be driven on the street. If interested let me know and I can give
you
> more info.
>
> Bill Alexander

     I am sur teh answer varies from organization to organization, but what
constitutes a "vintage/historic" sports racing car? Westfield 11s were built
in the 80's, but are based pretty soundly on 50's/60's chassis technology, a
60's motor, and a bodyshape very close to a 50's/60's sports racer. It looks
like a vintage racer, it drives like a vintage racer, but IS it a vintage
racer?
      Recently, I received the Ron Champion book "How to build a sports car
for 250 Pounds" (obviously mis-titled). This book details how to construct a
lotus 7 replica using donor car parts and fabricating the
chassis/body/suspension parts. If such a car was built out of period bmc or
ford parts, is it a vinage sports racer? The gentleman who wrote the book,
in partnership with another company, has come up with chassis modifications
and fiberglass body parts for a lotus 11 replica (does have non-lotus
power-bulge to clear all manner of motors in a 7-type chassis).It is
obviously not a Lotus, but is it a vintage sports racer? What if my donor
car is an early spridget?