RE: Eastlake

To: "Gregory Nagy" <gnagy@intrepid.net>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Eastlake
From: "Craig J. Froeter" <cjthedad@essex1.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 10:46:27 -0600
 well what constitutes a vintage car is that it is a vintage car. some
organizations are fine with letting a car like the Eastlake run, and some as
long as no one makes a stink about it, and it is not winning. Some others
would just show you their nose hair and tell you to go away, that is of
course if they knew enough to know it was not a true 11. Well here comes my
two cents. First of all my car is the Eastlake that started this thread.
Having not been blessed by the money gods to be able to afford a true Lotus
11 or to be able to race one, this looked like a affordable route to go.
Lets look at the differences.
                BODY: Eastlake-Fiberglass and Aluminum
                        Lotus 11-Aluminum some have been fitted with Fiberglass
due to the
expense                                    of the aluminum body but it is still
a lotus
                FRAME: Eastlake- Hand build tube frame of correct Lotus
dimension plus
current                                      SCCA approved roll bar for sports
racer "SAFE"
                         Lotus- hand build tube frame, built 43 years ago with
small roll hoop
"ouch"
                SUSPENSION: Eastlake- FRONT twin A arm coil over tube shock
REAR solid
tube axle                                                       coil over
                                Lotus- FRONT some solid axle some twin A arm
coil over REAR some solid
axle some Dion axle
                ENGINE: Eastlake- 1275cc BMC early 60's era
                          Lotus-1000cc thru 1500cc various engines
                TIRES& Rims: Eastlake (mine only) 13X6 panasports kumho 13 X
215 yes
bigger but                              never got alot of tire temp in tires
may be to big wanted
safer rims                              than wires
                                Lotus-skinny 15" wire wheels
  PLEASE NOTE: the above lotus information is true to the best of my
knowledge which is not much so if not correct please feel free to rip me a
new one.

So I feel that I have no advantage over anyone in racing the Eastlake and
after all how many true Lotus 11's do people ever get to see. My cars draws
alot of lookers and interest. As one SCCA drivers school official had this
ducky comment about the car "It may not be the fastest car out there but it
is sure the best looking". So it draws interest, is competitive and truly
fits the vintage mold. so what is the problem it's not like it is a
fiberglass body on a VW floor pan or a cobra body on a current era frame
with a fuel injected 5 liter. it's put together with vintage parts, and the
fit and finish of this car is impeccable it will in no way lower the
standards of any vintage organization, as with anything that Pat Prince has
a hand in is perfect. OK let me have it.
Craig