Re: Fw: Hoosier characteristics (bias)

To: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Fw: Hoosier characteristics (bias)
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 09:41:32 -0500
Speaking as a one-time Midget racer, running a 948 with open diff (4.55
usually, but I would have run a 4.2 at a big track like RA), I found the
hardest thing to learn, and the thing that rewarded the most with lower lap
times, was learning how to carry more speed into the corner (ie. not
braking).  I would tend to drive hard into medium and low speed corners and
would develop understeer on turn-in which would almost instantly change to
oversteer since I would tend to brake almost all  the way to the
apex.  Higher speed corners I would often just give a confidence lift and
no brake, or just drive in flat, allowing the car to scrub speed thru the
entry part of the corner.  Part of dealing with the open diff was trying to
carry as much speed as possible thru the first half of the corner, as I
knew I would be unable to hook-up and accelerate off the corner as early as
would be possible with a locked diff.  In fact, I sometimes drove the
Midget a lot like my Cooper-S, using off-throttle oversteer to rotate the
car at the apex of slower corners, to get it straighter faster!  (Cooper-S
had open diff, too)

Just to give an example, my best time at Mosport on skinny hard Dunlops and
the 948 was a 1:55.  I was flat into one, two, lift and downshift into
three, flat over four, flat at the end of the back straight, lift and
downshift into nine, light brake and downshift into ten.  The only hard
brake was into five.  (When I say flat into, that doesn't mean I was flat
all the way thru the corner!  I would feather the throttle to the apex then
be flat again as soon as possible).

all that said, the Hoosiers are far larger tires that I ran, and far
softer.  You may just have too much tire for the power and weight of your
car right now.

Cheers, Brian