Re: Hoosier characteristics (bias)

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hoosier characteristics (bias)
From: Calvin Krug <ckrug@laf.cioe.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 19:29:02 -0500 (EST)

>I ran Hoosier A70-13 Street TD bias tires this year. I was pleased with their
>general on-track performance, but it was the condition of the tires after the
>race sessions that distressed me the most. It never failed that by the time I
>got back to the paddock I had a terrible build-up of rubber on the tread
>surface. At Road America, where there are 3 brutally long straights, vibration
>was a definite problem. Even at shorter tracks with modest straights, similar
>unwelcomed vibration was a problem due to this build-up. It seemed that I
>could
>scuff most of it off the rears during a session, but the fronts never really
>cleaned up very well. In-between sessions a knife worked well for the bigger
>chunks, but that persistent layering...

A friend of mine worked with an IMSA WSC car a few years ago that was very
lightweight.  The first time the car came in to the pits for a tire change,
they discovered that the old tires would not fit through the opening in the
bodywork, as the buildup of rubber debris made them grow in diameter.  So,
you are not the only one that has this problem.  I'll ask how they solved
this dilemma.  Maybe you just need to get the car sideways more often to
scrub some of that stuff off.  :-)

Calvin K.