Re: Vintage body contact

To: <VEENET@aol.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Vintage body contact
From: "Robert Alder" <alder_rj@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 21:11:46 -0600
My cut at it:

Scene #1 at Thunder Hill - Car #1 goofed up!  He got sideways, for God's
sake and caused an accident!.  He should be talked to at the very least.
Driving on the edge with people on your tail puts car #1 in a zone of
"vintage racing responsibility" to not "get sideways."  Sanctioned??? Maybe.
Probably a function if he/she is perpetually precipitating incidents or
spinning or getting sideways often.  A Judgement call for Stewards.

Scene #2 at Sears Point - An incident caused by oil on the track or
mechanical failures shouldn't be ascribed to any driver.  That's racing and
that's also "vintage racing."

Your quote:  "Neither of these "incidents" were the result of overaggressive
driving or non-vintage spirit driving". I"d disagree.  Scene #1 called for
driver #1 to be more cautious.  He was in a dangerous situation (difficult
turn) and was pushing to the point where he "gets sideways."   By the way,
if car #2 was "pushing him" in a non-vintage manner,  maybe #2 shares some
responsibility.  But. . . that's a tough call for a Steward.