Re: Vintage body contact

To: MHKitchen@aol.com, mgvrmark@hotmail.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vintage body contact
From: S800Racer@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:03:25 EDT
In a message dated 9/29/99 8:57:12 PM, MHKitchen@aol.com writes:

<<In your scenario, all 3 are guilting of not being in control...

#1 needs to pay attention to shifting..

#2 needs to leave a little room for an evasive manuever, and needs to be
capable of doing it.

#3 should have been able to drive around or stop without hitting the other 2.
 He had more time to see it unfolding.

If this happens, then all 3 should be prepared to sit out a few races for the
results of their actions....can't agree there's any excuse other than
unexpected mechanical failure for justifying body contact in vintage racing.

Myles>>

Myles,
    I agree with your point of view.  I have noticed a number of people who
want to argue that this or that situation was not really anyone's fault.  I
subscribe to a theory that I originally heard attributed to Doc Bundy,
accomplished professional racer and driving instructor:  "Everything that
happens to you on the racetrack is your fault.  I don't care if lightning
strikes your car while you are on the backstraight, it's your fault for being
where the lightning wanted to strike."
    This is obviously an extreme position, but the point is total
responsibility.  If you don't go out with the attitude that you are
responsible for everything that happens to your car, then what is your
attitude?  If drivers go out on the track with the attitude that some stuff
is just unavoidable, they will not be as careful.  Look back at some of the
examples given and ask if the drivers involved could have avoided the
problems by paying attention to flags, traffic, the road surface and ANYTHING
that could have tipped them off to a possible problem.
    My own personal contact incident happened about 6 or 7 years ago.  I got
inside of another car in the carousel at Mid-Ohio, he did not see me.  I
really thought I had a way out by running over the curb on the inside.  Alas,
the curb launched the right side of my car and put me on two wheels ala Joey
Chitwood.  I had two choices, let the car roll on it's roof or turn left, get
back on 4 wheels and hit the other car.  So I hit him.  We both had a damaged
fender.  Under the "old" SVRA system, I was placed on probation for 3 or 6
months.  I first thought that this was not my fault since I never would have
had contact if the car had not tried to roll after I ran over the curb - just
a freak situation -- "that's just racing".
    It is obvious to me now that I was at fault in several ways.  1)  I was
driving too agressively if I had to go off track to avoid contact.  2)  I
should have taken into account who I was racing with.  3)  I should have
taken a closer look at those curbs before I tried to use them as an escape
route!
    If you believe that everything is your responsiblity on the track, it
will make you a better driver.  You will see that patch of oil before the
flagman has picked up the flag to warn anyone.  You will see the guy in front
of you gets a little loose in turn 5 and should be approached with caution.
If you are really good, you will see things like Brian Redman once did at Spa
where he noticed that something was different about the crowd and backed off
just in time to avoid a multi-car pileup ahead of him.

    Doug Meis - 1967 Honda S800
    - going off to Summit Point this weekend to try to practice what I preach!