Re: Vintage body contact

To: VEENET@aol.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vintage body contact
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:35:17 EDT
Jerry:

I have to disagree to some extent.  If body contact results, one or more of
the drivers was not in control over their vehicle.  The objective here is to
discourage driving so "agressively" (that could just mean following too
closely) that body contact occurs.

I can empathize with the Thunderhill T5 scenario...been there myself...but
avoided contact.

I think there is a VERY fine line between such a vintage attitude of knowing
when to back off a bit, or postpone that pass, and staying on someone's
bumper ready to pounce at any possible opportunity.

I believe the sanctioning groups need to have a firm stand on ANYTHING that
results in body contact....mandatory suspension for 1 or more events,
depending on the severity of the incident and infractions.

I really don't want someone playing bumper tag with my car and then be able
to come back and do it again next race without some consequences.....

In vintage racing, body contact is NOT acceptable.  I know.  Several years
ago, I nailed my friend Dave Rauch's quarter panel in the "heat" of battle in
a move where "I thought he saw me".  NOT ACCEPTABLE.  I was wrong and sat out
2 races.  BTW, Dave & I are still friends....I felt awful about hitting him.

Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128